Peter - Berywyn, Pennsylvania

Where Are You Going?

What do I want to do in life? It is a question that everyone has deal with and up until now I have always feared. But it doesn’t scare me anymore, not because I know what I want to be when I grow up, but because I believe that although I have no idea where I would like to be in ten, five, or even two years, I will be able to become successful in all senses of the word.

Maybe it seems silly that as a freshman in high school I was already worrying about what I wanted to do after college, but the fact is, it’s true. I have always been nervous that because I didn’t know what I wanted to do I would go to the wrong college, get the wrong major, and end up in a job where I’d be counting down until the end of the day¬¬ and that is the one thing I knew that I didn’t want. Over freshman and sophomore year teachers and guidance counselors kept telling me that it was normal to not know what career path I wanted yet at the same time a fair amount of kids could tell me exactly what they wanted to be, more could tell me what they wanted to major in, and pretty much all of my peers could tell me what college they were hoping to attend. Me? I had no clue, and that was frightening.

However this year my perspective has changed—which is odd because now I am even closer to entering college—and it is all thanks to my dad. He used to always say, “Pete, as a 47 year old man, I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up” and I always just kind of shrugged it off as him joking around. Recently though, we have purchased a building and we are opening up a restaurant and both my parents are quitting their jobs to run our new business. That is when it hit me. If I start a career, it’s never too late to make a career change. When I decide my major, I can always choose a new one. If I don’t like the college I initially attend, I can transfer. This has lifted a tremendous weight off my shoulders because I am no longer so concerned with what Ivy League school I need to get into to get the highest paying job and I am happy about this because I know that in taking my time to decide and not putting to much pressure on myself, I will make a better decision. Also, in keeping my options open I feel now that I can discover something new that I will love doing and in my opinion that is what is important; if I can wake up every day going to the same job or studying the same subject and love every minute of it, then I will have become successful person.