Megan - Pennsylvania

This I Believe ..

Aristotle once said, “Happiness depends upon yourself”. I wish I could say that before this year I never took his words to heart or followed them. Whenever I would trip and fall, I always depended on my friends to put me back on my feet; but sometimes you just need to be the star of your own show. It is not always about who is there for you through thick and thin or even what they do for you – It is about the small things you do for yourself. I have realized that the only person that will truly never let me down and who can keep all my secrets is myself, and that I am the only person I need to keep a smile on my face.

Up until this year I never gave myself enough credit: I never took pride in the fact that I could succeed without one of my friends telling me so. But I know inside me I can, and I will on my own. Sometimes it is hard to look past all the drama people cause and move on, but you have to keep pushing forward. High school has made me realize that words travel faster than the speed of light; No secret is kept unsaid unless it is untold, and the only way that it is untold is if I keep it to myself. I refuse to let people’s words get to me because I know I am better than that. If I let them see that they have upset me, then they have won. Instead I walk away, head up and all, and go do something for myself. That means spending money, or getting my nails done – in a girl’s world.

This year so far I have had my ups and downs, and never took it to myself first to work through my problems. Instead, I kept my friends up until odd hours of the night asking them what I should do. I always thought my friends were like the accessories that went along with my prom dress and made it whole. But now I realize that my dress alone is perfection.

In life I am going to encounter obstacles but I will get over them. I realize the friends I thought would never let me down probably will eventually just because friendships come and go like they have their own mind. Just because things like these are going to happen does not mean I am going throw my hands up and stop everything. I am going to, “take the good with the bad and smile with the sad” just because I believe I can create my own happiness.