William - strafford, Pennsylvania
Themes: love

This I Believe: What Is Love?

Love is a social phenomenon. But what really is love? How do we use it? How do we know its there? Who loves us? Through my life I have asked myself these questions. If/when I get an answer there is usually a sense of doubt or depression that falls over me, but I move on.

Love, I guess, is defined as that warm feeling that you get in your heart when you are with a special someone or doing something. It can bring out some different qualities in yourself that you would not usually show. How you show your emotion depends on you. And you know if its there: it’s the tense nervousness that you experience when you are with someone.

Long ago I thought I knew what love was. There was one girl who for over two years incurred a variety of heartwarming feelings in me, but, being a young naive boy, I didn’t talk to her. By the end of eighth grade I confirmed with myself that she was not for me. So I moved on with a feeling of depression amongst my heart.

I do feel depressed from the fact that I get along with girls, but I am too shy, as one friend calls it, to ask a girl on a date. I act my usual self while talking with them, but my brain freezes if the topic of asking a girl out comes up. I suppose that effect will ware off with maturing into an adult.

There was a question in my mind: who loves me. Since that time I have asked myself that question. I do know my family is behind me. I have friends from sports who support me. I have my school friends who support me, but I do not have or have ever had a girl friend. There are a lot of girls at school and around me whom I like, but I guess it is my quiet, nervous side of my personality that keeps me from any “success.”