Sam - Corvallis, Oregon
Themes: children

Our roots become our branches..

I can’t remember the countless times my mom came into my bedroom two hours before class to wake me up. Little did she know I was planning to stay there for the next hour and a half. Not because I was tired but just the thought of neglecting reality was priceless. Often times, as adults we choose to neglect simplicity and soon thereafter forget principle to accomplish serenity, let alone understanding. What I think we don’t quite understand or choose to recognize is our own beauty, hygiene, physical ability and most importantly our dignity and self-confidence. I am a college student and sometimes I look around to see simple failures, not ones that may be identifiable by most. As a child we learn how to brush our teeth, make our beds and pack a lunch. Seemingly enough I find myself hungry at ten in the morning. Not because I didn’t pack a lunch but because I didn’t eat breakfast.

Soon enough as middle aged individuals we wonder why we’re single and lonely. But what we don’t realize is we stopped brushing our teeth twice a day. We stopped making our beds, only because once situations call for us to step up and take control, we subconsciously worry and stress about smaller, less important things that only we really know about. Oily faces, dirty laundry, cavities, errors perceived as problems, which were created by our own lack of self-awareness. Our parents taught us these simple tasks to complete, for no one but ourselves to appreciate. While we are striving for public attention and fame we can’t seem to realize why we freeze up every time its show time. When we look around for support in any direction we realize if we cant support ourselves than how can we expect our friends support?

Everything we need to know about being successful was engraved in our minds as young adolescents, as we grow we loose brain cells, memory, health and if we don’t repeat the simple act of sense our production deteriorates until its stagnant. And at that point, all bets are off. Repeat as necessary.

All I know is when I wake up and have a borderline hang over which wouldn’t be so bad otherwise, although I didn’t shower or shave the day before so know I feel twice as bad. If we don’t have time to do it right in the first place, when will we have time to do it. If we don’t do things at all, when will we be able to teach it to our young, our loved ones, and above all ourselves? If we don’t bend down to tie our shoes than when will we bend for a piece of trash? I believe if we don’t water our roots we wont develop branches, stems, flowers or seeds. This I believe.