We Will Get Through This Together

Ashley - Rindge, New Hampshire
Themes: love

I believe that every person should have someone in their life willing to say, “I would lay down my life for you.”

While musing on what I truly and intrinsically believe, I held a conversation with my mother about her beliefs, as well as my own. One of her own belief statements was the above quotation. It was an intense, and frightening, and very powerful feeling, knowing someone considers my life more important than thier own. But as soon as she said it, I knew that I believed, truly and intrinsically, that everyone should hear someone say that to them. Everyone should feel that kind of love.

Growing up, I was loved. But I knew what it was to be unloved, too, because my best friend suffered through a miserable childhood, berated and ignored at turns by her mother’s husband, feeling the sting of it when her mother chose him over her. She and I were joined at the hip growing up. We were closer to each other than we were to our own sisters all through my childhood, and I felt her pain as sharply as if we were actually one being.

I realized after my conversation with my mother that my friend doesn’t have the belief that there is someone who would lay down their life for her. Not even her own mother. I thought, how sad. Because everyone should be able to count on their mother to love them that much.

I believe that every child should have at least one person who is willing to stand beside them, always. Someone, who, even if they don’t agree with your decisions, or condone your actions, loves you anyway. I have seen my mother and father stand beside me and my siblings through some horrible times. A learning disability. A bad marriage. A divorce. Dropping out of college. A bad pregnancy. An attempted suicide.

Even taking in my best friend when her parents kicked her out of the house.

And always, always, it was, “I love you, I support you, we will get through this, together.”

I believe everyone deserves that.

And I suppose if I had ever been asked the question, I would have said that, yes, I believe my parents would lay down their lives for mine. Because I would be willing to do the same. But hearing my mother say it out loud still made me cry.

I believe that everyone should have someone that they would lay down their life for. I believe that every person should think about who those people are, and go out and tell them. Especially if you think that they have never heard it, or don’t believe that anyone feels that way about them.

I believe that the next time I talk to my best friend, I will take her hand and tell her, “You are my sister. I love you. And if it came to that, I would lay down my life for you.”