Linda - Wichita, Kansas
Themes: children, hope

This I believe…

I believe in children. I read a quote on a birth announcement once that said, “ A baby is God’s sign that the world should go on.” Recent movies have been made on the premise that women suddenly are unable to bear children causing a world-wide panic and subsequent story action to save the sole female who may possibly be pregnant. So it is that when we assume what is our right is suddenly taken away, how quickly that right becomes vital to all mankind’s existence.

In a less cosmic sense, children keep us going in so many ways. They accept us as we are, flaws, warts and all. They forgive us our shortcomings and inspire us to do more than we thought we ever could because of them. We want our children to think highly of us even when we know the truth about ourselves. They don’t know or even care how we were before they came along. Most of us are not perfect parents and don’t always follow the prescribed guidelines of published experts, but we do the best we can and our children love us and forgive us our failings; perhaps that is why the courts are so reluctant to sever parental ties of the most neglectful parents. They hope that the adults will see how dependent these children are for their support and mature into the role they were dealt when they brought these beings into the world. With proper guidance and in extreme cases, state aid, unwilling parents can learn to step up to their responsibilities.

How much we learn from our children and grandchildren is immeasurable. They bring light and laughter into our lives and we reward them with our belief in their ability to succeed and measure up to our belief in them. It is God’s way of keeping the world in tact and spinning all of us…one child/one parent/one grandparent at a time into a better and kinder future planet for all.