Mike - Chicago, Illinois

This I Believe Essay

I believe that perseverance and hard work will help you achieve your goals. I believe this statement to be very true. I think in order for you to accomplish your goal you must first decide you want to do it. Second you must make a plan about how you are going to accomplish this goal. The last thing you must do is go through with your plan and accomplish the goal you desire. In order for you to accomplish your goal you must take action and be willing to work hard and give effort to accomplish it.

An example of this was when I was in fifth grade I played basketball for my grade school, St. John of the Cross. I was a decent player, but I knew I wasn’t good enough to make the A team when I got to 6th grade. The summer before the next basketball season, I made a promise to myself that I would make the A team next year and that I would work hard and continuously practice during the summer. That summer I would play one-on-one games with my dad, who was bigger and stronger than me, just about everyday that summer. If I wasn’t playing against my dad, I would be shooting hoops with my friends or by myself in the back yard. Everyday that summer I worked harder and harder to make myself become a better player. When I got to 6th grade I did make the A team and was a starter. Looking back, if it wasn’t for all the practicing that summer I wouldn’t be the player I am today. Today I am still working hard to become a better player, not only in basketball but in football and tennis too.

Hard work and perseverance will help achieve your goals not only in sports, but also in the classroom. For me, when I am working hard in school my grades are good, but when I am not working hard enough and I am unfocused in school my grades tend to slip a little. When my grades are up to par, I am taking the extra time to study for tests. There is also a much better result when I get help from a teacher when I don’t understand the material. No matter if you are playing sports or working in the classroom, you must be focused and hardworking in order to accomplish what you set out to do.