Deneen - Brownstown, Michigan

I believe “most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be” a quote by Abraham Lincoln.

I believe: “Most Folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be” this was a quote from Abraham Lincoln. Some people mope around on a daily basis with a poor me attitude. They talk about all the horrible things life has dished out to them. I believe life only dishes you as much bad as you want to see. You can choose to see all the bad things or you can choose to look at and really see all the good things life has thrown your way. I am not trying to tell you bad things don’t happen or you shouldn’t be sad at times for bad things that happen in life that would just be ridiculous. But what I am trying to say is that you and only you can choose which part of life you see most.

All of our feelings, beliefs, and knowledge are based on our internal thoughts, both conscious and subconscious. If you spend most of your days thinking of all negative things then you will perceive your life as negative. If you can be more visionary then that and spend your time dwelling on the good things in your life then it’s the good things that will stand out and come your way. Negativity attracts negativity and in turn being positive attracts positive things.

We are in control whether we know it or not. You can either take the passenger’s seat in life or the driver’s seat. Sometimes you really need to think about where it is you are sitting in that vehicle of life and make the choice of where you really want to be.

A comment I heard recently really stuck with me “you can’t always control the circumstances around you the only thing you can control is your response to them.” Think about that for a minute. When the cashier at the store is grumpy and you want to grump back to them, think about how it may change their day and possibly yours by maybe making an extra effort to tell them you hope they have a nice day. Or maybe compliment the earrings they are wearing. Sometimes you need to control your initial thought of a response with something more positive.

Take the time to sit back and watch people someday. I am a BIG people watcher. See how different some people’s attitudes are. Mr. Whine bag is always mopping even when it seems nothing is wrong, he’s always having a bad day. Yet the person next to him who maybe just got their car totaled seems to be in a cheery mood talking about how it could have been worse at least they are alive! Their attitudes make their days what they are!

We are constantly having inner conversations with ourselves. These conversations are where we need to sway our negative attitudes and thoughts into positive ones. You are in charge of what you think. You are in charge of what you want. You are the only person that can accomplish that. The choice is yours.

Whatever the mind expects it finds. Visionary people and visionary leaders visualize on a regular basis what they want. It’s like practice to getting there. If you always visualize yourself as calm and serene with a smile on your face chances are that’s where you will end up.

Positive and Negative feelings are contagious. It is amazing how negativity attracts negativity. When the negative ball starts rolling it doesn’t stop until someone stops it. I can sometimes feel it starting at work and I have to do whatever I can to stop, step back and get my wits together to get a positive spin going on things.

Every day is your day. It belongs to no one else other than you. You have the choice to make it a good day or a bad day. Now I am not saying everyone is perfect it’s not always easy to have a good day when things are going wrong. But you can. With practice it becomes easier. There are always unexpected delays, setbacks and disappointments which serve to knock your self confidence down but these are to be expected and sometimes even welcomed. There are no road blocks that can not be overcome. There are no road blocks that we do not learn something from. This is something everyone can do and you can start today by putting positive spins on your negative thoughts.

Each and every one of us should evaluate whether we are living a life filled with negativity or an existence filled with positive thoughts. Every experience whether good or bad we have had in life is a learning experience. Learning is a great thing.

So remember the next time you feel your day has been ruined because you stepped in dog poop it could have been worse it could have been elephant poop!