Adam - San Jose, California

Since moving away from home, I believe there is a place for simple communication. Sometimes I will find a message in my e-mail inbox or will cross paths on the phone, and I feel a since of normalcy. The kind of normalcy that comes from having been somewhere so long, in which only a familiar voice refreshes all that seemed to momentarily fade away.

I pride myself on my adventures. I have missed a couple of family Christmas gatherings, along with too many birthdays and Thanksgiving celebrations. I braved all of my adventures through the “I miss you” and “when are you coming home next” laments heard on the other end of the phone. Even then, there are the times of adjustment and a slight longing for that which I know best and there is only one remedy, a simple phone call:

“Hello.”

“Hey, how are you?”

“I’m great, how are you?”

“Oh, you know, doing well and working.”

“Anything new?”

“Not really, same old.”

“Yeah, pretty much the same here. Everything is pretty boring.”

“It’s okay.”

“Well, I just wanted to check in on you and make sure everything is okay.”

“Everything is alright, no complaints.”

“Alright, love you.”

“Love you, too. Bye now.”

That conversation, though empty sounding, fills up my memory bank with my brothers and sisters and parents. I picture them in their daily routine, one that I used to be a part of, and smile knowing they are progressing in the lives the lead. Simple comfort has made my move from home much easier and it comes at no price, well, after a certain time on nights and weekends.

It is a risk to leave home; to stray away. However, I believe the weekly check-ins and random e-mails bridge the gap between adventure and “home is where the heart is.” Our memories can be revitalized and we can easily answer the “where are they” and “how are they doing” questions. In that, one will never really be that for from where their normal resides.