Mike - Victoria, Virginia

This I believe. I’m always on the fence about God and struggle constantly with that insidious idea that there is a personality behind that concept. Something I’m pretty sure my Catholic upbringing steered me wrong about.

Lately in my rather atheistic meanderings I came upon an idea that works pretty well for me. Codifying the concept of “spirituality” and metaphysics into a belief system I might be able to live with.

I believe we might be some kind of un-consolidated soul energy floating around out there in the quantum ether. We like it there. We have amazing powers that operate in the sub atomic realm, or parallel universes of Steven Hawking or something like that. Perhaps we are the black matter that holds the universe together. That energy does all it can to remain in that “heavenly “ realm. But every time something gets born, forces pull on “us” and occasionally we get pulled back into consciousness against our own sub atomic desires. There is no memory of that ethereal existence while we are “down” here but we constantly devise explanations of what’s going on “up there” and call it religion, spirituality and God etc. Our “ethereal” selves do remember what it’s like “down there” that’s why it prefers staying in the quantum realm. But when we die it is such a relief to get back in space. We unconsciously know this that’s why when one of us dies we always say “they’re in a better place” and devise all kinds of descriptions for “the afterlife”. Each time we make this transition we grow more powerful, angelic, perfectly spiritual or something. Our experiences here are designed to impart ever-greater awareness above, where we look back on the earthly existence less than fondly. Partly because of all that suffering down here we long to get back to that “Nirvana” we unconsciously know. So we should behave morally towards all things because sooner or later we join back up in this collective consciousness. Maybe each time we make it a little better “down here”. This I believe.