Mariah - devon, Pennsylvania

Smiles range from the simple upturn of the corners of one’s mouth to a large, flashy show of the pearly whites, but whatever the kind, a smile will always evoke a positive emotion.

Smiling is what grounds me; it stabilizes and makes me feel more in control every day. It reminds me that, despite the fast pace of life, I must always remember to be happy and appreciate the little things in life.

I have a neighbor, an elderly Indian woman, I have no clue as to what her name is, yet every day when I leave my house for school I see her on her morning walk and we smile to each other. I recently had a friend check themselves into a rehab facility. His substance abuse arose when he began his first year of college. Throughout this event, I often found myself looking at an old photo I had of Andrew that sits on a desk adjacent to my bed. This is no ordinary photograph, however; it was Andrew and I on Halloween dressed up as each other, him smiling with a set of joke teeth in his mouth. I know this is how Andrew would want me to think of him, because he had the power to bring a smile to the faces of his family and friends.

Smiling helps me overcome times of fear, anxiety and nervousness. Smiling helps me express to others my proudest moments. It helps me convey love for others. Sometimes, when no words can be spoken, a smile is all that is needed to fill the air. Smiling is infectious. I believe it is the ultimate connection between all humankind, and it only takes a smile to