Daniel - Brookfield, Illinois

I believe in nonsense. The kind of nonsense that comes on a Friday in June when you and your friends are just hanging around at your house, pondering the big questions of life. Like how you can get close to one million TV channels and there’s still absolutely nothing to watch. The kind of nonsense that comes when, out of boredom, your friend pick up some little knick-knack that you’ve had for ages, and don’t even remember having, until you think about it longer and you realize that’s its from far off land full of mystery, like Florida or Wisconsin. One such bout of nonsense led me to come to realize that nonsense brightens your day, and it is when you are at your most creative.

One steamy day in mid-July, my friends and I were sitting around the TV, watching god-knows-what. My friend, Austin, was practically asleep on the couch, and I was wondering how we can hate school so much when it was going on but, we can almost can’t wait for it’s return to add some structure to our lives. My other friend Mark was trying to get Austin’s attention, and after several failed attempts, he resorted to chucking a ball of paper at him. Austin reacted with the speed of a cheetah and returned fire with two other nearby pieces of paper. Mark’s next shot went wide, and smacked me right in the forehead. Before I knew what was happening, Austin and I were waging war on Mark. Then for a reason that still eludes me to this day, we were no longer Mark, Austin, and Dan. No. Now we had become Hitler, Stalin, and Churchill, and the fate of WWII rested in our hands. Austin and I behind the couch, lobbing potshots at Mark, while be pounded us from behind his overturned table, with his limitless supply of paper, as he had access to the printer. This silly role-play evolved and grew into a battle for the ages, with us running about the house, and the back yard looking like maniacs, and all the happier for it. The play continued into the night, at which point we grabbed flashlights and the game evolved into an advanced game of night tag. Eventually the game broke down into fits of nonsensical laughter. We closed out the game with goodbyes that night as they went home. As I lay on my bed that night, I reflected on how one simple little episode of silliness, one off moment where we had taken leave of our senses, had taken on a life of it’s own and had turned a day with little hope, into a day to remember.

It’s been said that “a little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men.” I agree completely. Nonsense is when we lose all our inhibitions, and it’s when we are at our most creative. This I believe.