Brennan - Western Springs, Illinois

Music

Music is an art form that expresses ideas through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, pitch and timing. I believe that music helps people convey their emotions and personalities. I believe that music determines you’re mindset. An example is if you are always in an energetic mood you might listen to rock n roll and if you are in a relaxed mood you might listen to country or reggae.

Music is heard and interpreted differently by everyone. This explains the different groups around most high schools, often people are drawn to each other due to certain interests such as music. Stereotypes are often placed on people of different styles. Music helps differentiate the different styles that people come off as, an example is that ghetto kids may listen to rap, and kids that may dress “punk” may be fans of punk rock.

Music is also used to put listeners in a certain mood. I know when I’m in a good mood I’ll want to listen to more upbeat music that I often want to sing along to and when I’m in a worse type of mood I may want to listen to slower tempo music, because more upbeat music would just give me a headache. Movies often use this technique to attempt to make someone feel on edge before a surprise or laugh during a funnier scene. When people are with their friends they also may try to make them laugh by putting a certain song on to put them in a different mood.

Music to me is a big part of my life and most other people’s lives and helps me organize my thoughts and feelings. Without music feelings would go unfelt and emotions would be scarce.