Caitlin - Indian Head Park, Illinois

Practice Makes Perfect

Everyone Has their talents and flaws, some are handed their skills, others are not. But what is equal about them is that no matter how good or bad they are, practice will make perfect.

I believe we all are gifted in are own ways, the only way to broaden are skills Is to practice them. I grew up playing soccer, basketball, and softball. I also took ballet, tap, jazz and Irish dancing. It may sound like a lot, but I was a natural at all of them. My skills progressed as the years flew by, and I moved on to traveling sports, and competitive dancing. At the time all of the attention for being the best felt good, but the feeling didn’t last.

After a few years of juggling activities, I got bored. I think the love for any game or hobby, provides a part of challenge for a person. After I quit this major part of my life, I didn’t think I’d ever do a sport again. But entering into high school, I found gymnastics and cheerleading. These sports may sound unchallenging, but until you’ve thrown a person up in the air for two hours a day, I don’t think you really know how much of a challenge it can be. As for gymnastics, if you don’t have those chiseled abs and strong arms and thigh’s your basically an injury waiting to happen. None of these two sports are easy for me, it’s something I have to work at everyday, and the only way to get better at them is to practice.

I used to be embarrassed going to gymnastics since I started out in a class full of ten year olds, and I am sixteen. At first I thought I’d blow out of this class in a day, and that this was a waste of time, I should be with the girls my age. Then the real truth laid itself on the table when we started evaluation, and not only did I not move up, I should’ve been moved back a class. This was a big life lesson that I learned, that everyone should learn. Nothing is supposed to be easy, but if you practice, you will become better, and although we hate the challenge in life, because in general all people would rather take the easy road. If their was no challenge in our lives, we would be bored. So the things that challenge us aren’t such a bad thing anymore, all it takes is time. This I believe practice makes perfect.