Ryan - Western Springs, Illinois

When I was in 7th grade, one of my peers had to go to the bathroom. She was not my friend nor was she an enemy. She was very quiet, the kind of quiet that never talks back to anyone. We were opposites, because I was loud and always said what was on my mind; so we became just two faces that would awkwardly smile at each other in the halls to be polite. Her name was Kylie.

Kylie sat in my music class that day anxious to use the bathroom; most people would assume this was a simple request. However my music teacher came up with a new rule which was no one gets to go to the bathroom in his class. Kylie had initially asked him at the beginning of the period and his immediate response was no, even though her skin was turning paler and she was shaking frantically in her seat. I couldn’t watch the poor girl suffer any longer or potentially experience an extremely embarrassing mishap.

I stood up and demanded to the teacher that he let her go to the bathroom; he immediately dismissed my request thinking I would sit down because of his loud booming voice. However that was quite the contrary because it was at that moment when I told the class to stop singing until he let her go to the bathroom. Surprisingly they listened. He then threatened to send me to the principal’s office and call my mother. I did not flinch. I told him to go a head; I said I bet they would let her use the bathroom. His face turned red with aggravation and his eyes pointed narrowly down at me, because a 13 year old girl was telling him how to run his class. He finally caved because he knew he was wrong from the beginning. Kylie was granted permission and she ran off to the bathroom.

I believe in standing up for those who will not stand up for themselves. I did get sent to the principal’s office that day, but I was right they agreed with me. From that day on my music teacher never refused another bathroom request, at least not when I was in the room.