I believe that nothing is impossible.

Jan - USA

Pick what you want to do. Decide how you want to do it. Then go out and do it, no matter what it takes. It’s as simple as that.

You want to go fly a plane? Then go take flight training.

You want to get stronger? Then hit the weight room.

What, too lazy? Well then quit being a pansy, get your butt off the couch, and work for it. I know it’s not easy, but all the work pays off in the end.

That’s exactly how I was when I was in the 4th grade thinking about joining band. Before that, I’ve never picked up a drumstick, let alone any musical instrument, so I kinda just gave up. I went home, grabbed a bag of chips, then sat down and watched “The Simpsons.”

Well at least that’s what I was imagining in my head. That happens a lot to bums that lack determination and self-confidence. Instead, I picked up the sticks, and started reading some notes.

Five years later came my freshman year of high school. After just transferring to LT, it wasn’t easy for me to adjust to a completely different atmosphere. It took a while for the jetlag to subside, and tryouts for the drumline were coming up. Now me being a freshman, it wouldn’t be a surprise for me to be on the cymbal line, and I would pretty much need a miracle to be on a drum.

When the big day came, I counted how many people were trying out, and calculated the odds of me being on a drum. With about twenty-five kids fighting for a spot, I thought realistically for a second, and figured that it would be almost impossible for it to happen, so I grabbed the cymbals.

What, did you really think that I gave up just like that? Yeahhh, not happening. So I grabbed a snare, and got in line.

A few days later, the 05-06 drumline rosters were up, and after plowing through the crowd, I found my name right away. I was snare #7.

BAM take that upper classmen. I was one of three freshmen to make the snare line, and next thing I know, I was on my way to Disney World with a pair of sticks in my luggage.

Now you might be thinking that it really isn’t that big of a deal, but to me it was. Music has always been a huge part of me, and accomplishing that big task gave me a big boost of confidence.

That just goes to show that anyone can do whatever they want. It’s what’s up there that matters. Are you up for the challenge? The answer to that is all up to you, and that will show how bad you want it.

Heck you can be as godly as Neil Peart or Mike Ditka and not even be crashing cymbals if you have a lame attitude. Both of them have had their fair shares of ups and downs that they had to surmount, but look at how they are today.

As for me, I’ve got the varsity football season coming up in a few months, and there’s a good chance that I won’t be playing on a drum. But I’m sure there’s another way, there’s always another way. It’s just another obstacle that I have to work to overcome, and though it isn’t easy, I just listen to the guys at Nike.

“Just Do It.”