Eric - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: science

‘This I Believe’

I believe that the world is better with electronics. We depend on electronics to make our lives easier and faster. Cell phones, iPods, Email. They all are there to help us be more productive at whatever we do. With cell phones, we can instantly call someone, no matter where we are. Also, someone can call us. We don’t have to go home and check our answering machine. Taxes can also be done instantly over the internet. It saves you time, money, and paper. Also, on the internet, we can buy tickets to concerts, movies, and sports games. Plane tickets are also available online. Printing them from the internet is a safe and quick way to get what you need without wasting time by standing in line and buying them. Just the other day, my friend and I heard that Lynyrd Skynyrd tickets were for sale. So I got on the computer and bought some before they were all sold out. If I hadn’t bought them on the internet, they would have had been sold out by the time I got there.

Tivo also saves everyone a ton of trouble. Instead of putting a blank DVD or tape in and recording it, you can easily record it and watch it whenever you want, along with everything else you recorded. Many people also use the internet to look up information, such as dictionary definitions, or online encyclopedias for research projects. Why page through a giant encyclopedia when you can just type what you need and it’s right there? Many kids today use instant messaging to talk to their friends. They use it because it is an easy and quick way to talk to ten people at once. They have conversations, help each other with homework, and send each other stuff. It’s much easier than calling each person to talk to them. Email is also a fast paper-saving alternative to snail mail that everyone uses.

So thanks to technology, our lives are all easier than they were for people born in the past. We can get more things done faster and have more time do other things. Thank you electronics!