Katie - LaGrange, Illinois

Jack Dempsey once said, “Nobody owes anybody a living, but everybody is entitled to a chance.” I believe that everyone deserves a chance, and by giving them that chance they are not being judged by how they look. I personally have discovered the importance of chances because at one point, I was not given a chance, not because of who I was, how many friends I had, or even how nice I was, but because of how I look.

Growing up, I was not always the sharpest tool in the shed or known for my perfect abs, but I always had friends. I always thought that as long as I didn’t hear the criticism behind my back, everything was okay. I was always happy because at my middle school, everyone was my friend.

This year, something changed. In the beginning of the year I started going out with one of my best friends. Of course when all this happened, I was psyched. I was and am more happy than I have ever been. I was not always accepted by some people. When my boyfriend and I started going out, I started to hear horrible rumors about myself from a girl who didn’t know me, and could barely pick me out in a crowd. I was upset because she never even took the time to know me.

This girl had maybe seen me once and started rumors on how my “look” wasn’t good enough for my boyfriend. I honestly started to believe what she was saying. I started to believe to the fact that where I thought that I should change everything about myself. I became less confident and my self-esteem dropped a lot. I never wanted to see her because, although I could kick her butt if it became necessary, her words hurt me more than she ever could.

One day I was in youth group and someone told me, “Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.” That statement helped me realize, that I had been scared emotionally to face this girl. The next day I started talking to this girl because I wanted her to accept me. I became friends with her friends and I can honestly say that throughout all of this madness, I never sunk to her level, and I never hated her. I decided to give her a chance and in my mind, everything worked out.

As of now, I have not heard anything and my relationship with my boyfriend has grown amazingly. I talk to this girl on a more friendly level and I think that she has finally accepted me for who I am, now that she has gotten to know me.

I believe that by giving someone a chance in the beginning, could not only change your view on them, but it could also increase the self-esteem of those around you. If people would accept each other’s differences, then the world could finally achieve that longing peace it craves.