Nicole - Surprise, Arizona
Themes: integrity

Footprints From the Not-So-Ordinary

Superman, Batman, and Spiderman: just your average everyday superheroes who are looked up to by so many. But for me, I believe in the not-so-ordinary superheroes. The underdogs in a crisis who do not get the credit they deserve. People like teachers and parents, or siblings and friends, and hey, maybe even the no-name guy down the street.

Whether you are young or old there are people that you look up to. For children, many a times, it is a superhero on the television, or an older sibling. But regardless of age, I think everyone has that one influential adult they aspire to become. Different traits, displayed at different times, with different people help us get one step closer to where we want to be. For me, my brother, sister, and mother are all inspirational heroes in my life who help lead me down the road of success with their motivating footprints.

Lets face it: adults are humans too, and because of that, they make mistakes as well. My brother has recently wormed his way into my head and helped me understand that it is okay to make mistakes. A few years back, his life was not going as planned, and he tried to take his life, which is something my heart will never forget. Although he is slowly making his way down the right track, my brother has been through hell and back, and it has shown me that, given time and effort, you can bounce back from even the deepest of scars.

When given a question like, “Who do you most admire?”, my first response would be, “My sister.” Becoming pregnant at only sixteen, my sister has struggled with life ever since, but not once has she given up. She has worked hard and continuously displayed her strength and character like never before. Now, almost fourteen years later, she and her family have finally found their way out of the pit of poverty and into their realm of dreams, truly giving meaning to the phrase “everything is possible if you just believe”.

Although I have previously mentioned my siblings as my not-so-ordinary superheroes, nothing can come close to my mom. At a very tender age, my father passed away, and my mother was forced to raise my sister and me as a single parent. The hardships she has face were never known to me until just recently, and I have come to realize what an amazing woman she truly is. Putting her kids first and teaching the proverbial lesson of right or wrong, my mother has swallowed her fear and carried on with the courage and strength that I know she possesses.

Being a child still myself, I have come to discover that not all choices in life are easy, and that it is good to have those heroes to look up to. Adults in our life leave their footprints in the sand, and it is up to us to decide to follow or not. At the end of the day, no matter how much character they infuse us with, they are just that: footprints. Over time, slowly but surely, the rising tide will claim them as its own once more, and it will be our turn to become those not-so-ordinary superheroes.