Ricky - Countryside, Illinois

We live in an awesome country that many people have died to protect. This country is over two hundred years old, has been in many wars, has had a civil war, and is “still standing”, if you know what I mean. There are many countries with all the traits mentioned, but this one is special. Our country was the first true democracy in over a thousand years. Our founding fathers took old ideas of democracy and mixed them with the new thoughts of enlightened thinkers.

Not only have there been people that gave their thoughts to this country but there have been many that have given their lives for this country. I know this because mine eyes have seen the thousands upon thousands of graves for the soldiers who fought and died in all the American wars. This was Arlington National Cemetery in Washington D.C. Being there taught me a valuable lesson. It taught me that some wars were for a noble cause, some not so noble. But, no matter what, the people of our country fought because they were told to fight. They believed in the country so much that they would give their life for it no matter what they thought of the cause.

One of the first wars that this country had was the Revolutionary War, which broke us away from Great Britain. We were not allowed representation, meaning we had no say in what Britain wanted us to do. We were tired of Britain controlling us, so we decided to do something about it. We broke away to form a new country that allowed representation and incorporated new enlightened ways into the laws.

This country is a country based on justice and human rights, and I believe in this country. I believe in America. There are those who doubt this country, but I believe in it and I want everyone know it. I believe that people that doubt America are pessimistic and give up too easily. If our founding fathers were completely doubtful and pessimistic about making a new country with new laws, then people like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would be known not as heroes, but criminals, guilty of treason against her majesty.

I can recall when I traveled to Washington D.C. with my family. I learned a lot about the founding fathers, the abolition of slavery, and the civil rights movement. It made me think that those historical events could only take place in a country like ours, a country of rights and liberty. That is why I believe in this country. I believe that we must never doubt this country, because if we do it will weaken the nation and all the things that the country stands for will fall. No matter what we must fully believe not in the leaders or officials that come and go like the wind, but the entire nation that could last for ages.

I believe in America and all of the ideals and rights it stands for.