Katie - Western Springs, Illinois

I Believe

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes it can be something as small as finding a penny on the sidewalk and then ending up having the best day of your life. Or something as huge as surviving a disaster and receiving a second chance. Now, nothing like that has happened to me, but I still believe that if something is meant to be, it will happen sooner or later. Take my parents for example, they met at The World’s Famous Laundry Mat in Berwyn, Illinois. According to my mother’s recollection, she was studying her Law book when a handsome young man came into the mat. He walked over to dryer next to her and began folding his clothes. She caught sight of a tee shirt that said St. Leonard’s School on it. She asked him about it, since her best friend had gone there. The conversation got going and my dad noticed her law book and asked her about it. They were both contemplating the idea of going to law school and spent the duration of the afternoon chatting. “The rest is history,” she said.

Fast forward seven years and my mother’s belly is growing larger with her third child, me. She and my father, along with my two older brothers, are living in a tiny house on a beat up street in Berwyn. I am expected in a few weeks, and there’s anxiety in the air. My mother’s pregnancy wasn’t exactly “planned,” so there are a few financial difficulties arriving with my conception. Little does she know, that in a week or two, my dad will join law practices with his good friend. This means double the cases and much more profit. When I am two years old, we move to Western Springs and my mom gets a job at Hinsdale Hospital. My brothers and I ended up going to a good school and living in a nice neighborhood and made lots of friends.

Back then my parents were perfectly happy with two healthy boys and a decent house. Yet if I had not been born, my mom wouldn’t be at a job that she loves, and my dad wouldn’t have so many clients in his district. Oh, and they would not get to see my smiling face every morning. And to this day when my brothers get mad at me and tell me I shouldn’t be here, my mother still says I was just “a pleasant surprise.”