Peter - Western Springs, Illinois

I Believe in Sharing

I believe in sharing. Sharing brings two people together to enjoy an activity or possession. People are happier when they share because they are able to enjoy whatever they are sharing, and they are able to share their happiness with another person. I recently experienced with my sister the fact that even though sharing appears to be great, it is not always easy to do.

My sister and I don’t always get along. We love each other very much, but we also love to fight with each other. When it comes to sharing, sometimes we can’t always make it work. To us sharing can mean giving in to the other person’s demands, and so we are unwilling to share. We would often fight over the rights to the TV, and in the course of arguing we would both lose our privileges. We were both willing to give up what we were fighting for in order to not let the other have it. It’s been true throughout our history together, especially when it comes to toys. And the bigger and better the toy, the harder it is to share. I recently received a Playstation 3 system for my sixteenth birthday. I immediately vowed not to share it with my sister because she presented too many liabilities, and her track record suggested sharing was a bad idea. I was worried she would break it, or let her friends break it, or somehow interfere with my enjoyment. I was not willing to let any of those things happen, because I was genuinely selfish when it came to my PS3.

The duty of being a big brother generally comes before selfish pleasures, so out of the kindness of my heart and because of my parent’s commands, I allowed my sister to join me in playing my new system. The going was a little rocky at first, as I had the safety of the game foremost in my mind instead of the happiness of my sister. Eventually we started to play well together. As it turned out, I was happy to share it with her. I was able to enjoy my new game and be a good brother at the same time. Though I was selfish for not sharing, my sister forgave me. We were able to set aside our quarrels and differences, something I can’t say I’ve been able to do with her too many times before. We had a lot of fun and I look forward to sharing with her again, though I can’t tell her that or she might begin to think I actually like her.

Sharing allows two people to forget their problems and do something that is fun for both of them, and that is why I believe in sharing.