Allison - Western Springs, Illinois

What if there was one thing that was able to eliminate all of our pain and problems for just a moment? What if the differences that separate us really didn’t matter because of this one thing? What if this one thing made it possible to create beauty wherever it was needed most? I believe that there is such a thing in the world. I believe in the power of music.

Music works in a simple way for me. Sometimes I will just be sitting on my bed listening to the radio and my favorite song starts playing. I instantly start smiling and singing along, so much happier because they played this song.

Music can also impact us when we least expect it. Our chorus teacher always brings up his image of music. He starts off his explanation by describing a cold winter day in the mall. You have a Starbuck’s coffee in your hand and you’re Christmas shopping. You walk into Nordstrom’s and hear a piano playing holiday songs. You suddenly feel warm inside because the Christmas spirit has hit you.

I believe that music can bring people together. Last year I went to a chorus festival that involved students from a dozen high schools in the area. I was surrounded by over 300 high schoolers that I had never met before. I tried to avoid eye-contact with these people because I was so intimidated. We were strangers to each other. All we saw were the differences separating us. The director then came and started helping us through the music that we would be performing that evening. The tension in the room slowly disappeared as we worked more and more with each other. We weren’t strangers anymore. All of our differences didn’t seem to matter so much. All of us worked so hard that afternoon to make everything sound just right. The evening performance came and the choir’s sound was enormous. What started off being a room full of complete strangers ended up being an auditorium full of musicians working together to create something truly beautiful. This, to me, is one of the most amazing things that music can do.

I understand that music doesn’t necessarily impact others as much as me. I do believe, however, that it is necessary in my life. Music connects me to my world and the people in it. It is my life.