Filip - 60527, Illinois

Dog Eat Dog World

I believe in fear being a form of respect. Where ever you look throughout history, in your own life, and in the lives of others you will see this theme reoccurring. What is meant by it is that people show a much greater respect towards others who they have an internal fear towards.

Think about it, my father is very strict. He likes things to be in top shape, everybody doing what they are supposed to and doing it right. Now he leaves frequently for business trips in Europe and isn’t home for days at a time. I will say from personal experience my dad yells a lot at my sister and I, and we have learned a certain discipline from him. When he is home things are different the T.V. is rarely turned on, homework is done right away, and everything is clean and the way it is supposed to. When he leaves to one of his business trips, things change instantaneously. The T.V. is turned on right away, homework is done at nigh before bed, and cleaning stops until the day of his return. Because I have an internal fear of my father yelling, I do what he states and try to make him happy. In other words I have a lot of respect for my father. Now don’t get me wrong it’s not like I am scared to death of my father, I love him a lot, but because he has been strict with me from a child I have the uttermost respect for him. Now this works vice versa also. People tend to take advantage of people that are very nice, and will do whatever they want around them. Think of a nice family member, and try to remember times when you did whatever you want around them just because you knew they wouldn’t do anything.

Even throughout history this is very relevant. The greatest leaders were shrewd and tried to instill fear into the people. Everyone from Alexander the Great, to Attila the Hun used the concept of fear to tame the people, and it worked. While on the other hand leaders that came to the thrown and were weak, were crushed almost instantly by others. People have many terms for this concept, it’s a dog eat dog world, only the strong survive are only some. Now I’m not saying go and be a jerk to everyone, but know a balance of the two to get respect. This is what I believe in, and it doesn’t sound like a nice concept but then again life isn’t.