edgar - rockville, Maryland
Themes: creativity, love

I believe in the power of 3. More precisely, I believe that 1 + 1 = 3.

I believe that life is made of relations and relationships; that in every action and every thing there is a connection with another that is at the essence of making an experience or that thing real.

I believe:

• That place is made not out of walls, but out of the space that is between the walls that we build.

• That a home is made not from a house, but from those that live within it, acting on, in and as a part of and in relation with that place.

• That music is a connection between a musician and his instrument. A song is a connection between a musician and a listener.

• That art is about the connection of the artist with his canvas. Ultimately, that art’s greatest value is when so many experience it, with their own interpretations, giving that work an infinite number of relationships with others.

• That the moon is really just the reflection of the sun and that special relationship gives light at night, and, hope for tomorrow.

• That how I relate to my god is at the root of what gives me strength, and gives god being.

When I had the great opportunity to marry Nancy, it was obvious to us that what would make our lives together would require a respect by each one of us for the other; that we would respect and honor the space in between, that space that is our relationship. We rejected the notion that two join together to become one; we embrace the idea that two join together to become 3, a total greater than the sum of its parts.

To this day I recall our wedding day when at the altar we each lit a candle, then, we each took our candle and together lit a 3rd candle; but then, we blew out the first 2 candles! I can live with that every day with the knowledge that engraved inside our wedding bands is 1+1=3 9-28-05. I believe that the 3rd candle lit that day made each of the first 2 candles burn brighter and that the 3rd candle cannot burn without the first 2.

I believe in the power of 3 because we are not alone and we are living our lives in relation to each other and with our environment.