Nora - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in having an expressive bedroom. A room without color schemes, a room that has everything you love inside it. It’s a whole room just for you to decide what to do with it.

I have a very small room, but it’s nice because I’ve never had to share it. For some reason I was the only kid out of five kids in my family who got their own room after we had an addition on the house. After the addition my mom decorated my room because I was only four. She asked me what color walls I wanted, and I told her, “purple!” The day they finished painting it, I walked in and I saw my room for the first time, but it wasn’t purple; it was a very light blue with the smallest hint of purple that you could imagine. I said to my mom, “I thought my walls were going to be purple”, and she replied, “Well, I thought purple would be a little too dark.” So we kept that color. Sure it was nice, but it wasn’t me. My mom picked out all of the furniture, paintings, drapery, and comforter that were going to be in my room. And of course they all matched the walls. My furniture was white and the drapes were white. The bedspread was blue, white, and purple. We picked a painting that had unicorn dancing through a field of flowers, the unicorn was white, and the flowers, they were blue and purple. Every picture or painting that was in my room had a blue, purple, and white color scheme.

Finally the summer going into sixth grade I told my mom, “I’m bored with my room, can we change it?” We did.

I picked yellow for my walls, pale yellow, but it was bright enough for me. My bedspread during warm seasons is an explosion of color and patterns. Green, purple, orange, red, all the colors in the rainbow and more. They are all mixed in to millions of patterns that you can stare at for hours just trying to find new ones. My bedspread during cold seasons is a dark blue denim with hot pink, yellow, and red flowers stitched in all connecting on a vine. The walls are covered with posters. I have a giant Breakfast at Tiffany’s poster hanging on the wall. There are posters of plays I’ve seen, places I’ve been, people I love, and they are all different colors. Collages that I made decorate the blank parts of my walls. Now my headboard isn’t just white, there are ladybug lights that I draped across it, blue feather boas, and hats from when I was little. Even my shelves are bursting with color. I have shelves full of different colored books, pictures, dolls, and random trinkets. Everything comes together looking amazing!

Bedrooms should resemble yourself and be decorated with what you love because I believe in having an expressive bedroom.