Dillon - Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
Themes: change

I know what I am about to say will not only stir up the emotions of some readers, but will also make others nod their heads in agreement. I believe that the world is becoming too politically correct. It seems that nowadays everyone tries to stick up for different races, and ethnicities all the time even when they are not a part of it. Sometimes these “politically correct” people try to protect a group that doesn’t think that they are being discriminated against. They assume that they must be upset about something when they might not be.

I will start with an example I heard when I was a freshman. I mean “a first-year-student”. In this case, an Alabama football coach was getting fired from his job for using the phrase “Afro-Americans” in a press conference. He was referring to African Americans of course, but even more he was inferring that they are faster and more athletic than white people. Now out of all the people that heard the comment, guess which ones got offended and proposed to fire the coach? The politically correct white people. I mean the “melanin-impoverished” politically correct white people. I guess they felt compelled to “protect” the African-Americans from this atrocity because they though it was an insult to them. I mean an “emotional rape”. I’m not saying that it was ok that the coach said this, and I also don’t think it was bad that some people wanted him fired; I just think that it’s not a big enough matter to take a man’s job away because of it.

The childhood that I had, although only 10 years ago, is different from the one a child has today. For example, instead of children making “snowmen” in they’re backyard, they now make “snow people”. Instead of getting pulled over by a policeman, you’re getting pulled over by a “policeperson”. These new worlds are in dictionaries and in storybooks, and I think that the vast majority of the population think that “snowman” and policeman” are correct words, but some people disagree. A small group of people is changing the world for us, and that why it can be bad to be too politically correct. Also, think of what would happen today is Neil Armstrong landed on the moon and said “One giant leap for mankind”. Politically correct groups across the world would want an explanation from Armstrong wondering what he meant by saying this.

This changing of our world has to stop. Although it is nice to make sure that everyone is happy, and content, it is possible to take it too far. I think somewhere between complete intolerance and completely political correctness. I we find that median it will lead to a happy world. As for now I think that it is only making the world worse. I mean “less good”.