Katie - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe I am going to turn into my mother. I don’t fear this, or deny it. I’m actually a little excited. My mom has embraced her “changes of life” not with a new car, house and thirty pounds like my dad did approaching his mid forties, but instead with a can-do attitude. She can walk two miles every morning, until she makes me a little jealous of how fit she is. She can go to church every morning and get the serenity I wish she had ten years ago with a five year old and a two year old. She goes to college too. Not back to college, no, to college for the first time. In the middle of her life she has decided she wants a degree, first her associates, and now her bachelors. The other day she told me she wants to be a doctor. I mean come on the woman will still be in school after I graduate!

My metamorphosis is subtle but I am noticing it more and more. Practicing driving with my new permit I am always the first to person to offer to drop my brother, Sam, off at school. In the same fashion my mom did to me letting me out of the car in seventh grade I honk the horn and remind Sam to “stay safe, be nice, and smile big because so many people love you!” his horror and embarrassment gives me the same subtle pleasure I’m sure it gave my mom all those mornings dropping me off before school too.

I believe I will turn into that woman you see out in public in the bright pink bath robe, no make up and not a care in the world that people are staring, the woman lovingly referred to in my house as “mom.” A few months ago my mom announced to me that she wore a black belt and brown shoes that day and if anyone didn’t like it they shouldn’t look. A few days after she dropped me off at school still in her pajama’s, as I walked into school my friend told me my shirt and my cami didn’t match. I told my friend that “if you don’t like it, don’t look!”

Yes, the evidence overwhelming. It all leads me to believe that I am going to turn into my mother. Quite frankly, I can’t wait!