Daniel - Fargo, North Dakota

I believe when it comes to religion it is good to ask questions. I have found myself asking questions to all kinds of different people and sometimes I have felt that with my questions I might have faltered someone else’s faith. However, I always try to bring people back because I do believe in God. Many people find it easier to believe in God; but sometimes I find the opposite to be true. However, I still believe in God. There are many scientific principles that have led me different directions with my faith. This has always been the case. When I was seven years old I had a crisis. I learned about dinosaurs in school and didn’t find a mention of them in the Bible. This, at the time, had me staying awake at night. I wasn’t reading the bible trying to find a hint of reference; but asking myself why God would not mention such an important thing? Finally, I asked my pastor at the church my family attended. The answer he gave me was that God did not need to put things in the Bible that were not directly related to Chrisitanity. I was not fully satisfied with the answer; but I still believed in God. Since then I have read many different things in the bible that have brought up even more questions. I have asked many different pastors and clergy with questions of the faith and have found different answers, not all of which I agree with; but I still believe. Later in childhood, , I spoke to a kid on the playground, much older than me at the time, and when I asked him if he believed in God he said that he did not. He said he wanted to be a scientist and to be a scientist he could not believe in God. I liked science and, as mentioned before, was enamored with dinosaurs and other various animals; but did not know there was a discrepancy.

I still have not found the discrepancy. Many scientists including myself are doing the same thing I was as a kid, asking questions about life, god, faith, and religion. The problem with Christians who want to take evolution out of schools is that they are conceding that evolution cannot coincide with science. They are accepting the idea from the scientists that say the two cannot coexist. They are telling their children that if they want to be Christians they must not be scientists. I believe that if you encourage your children to ask questions, they will become stronger because of it. There still are times when my belief in God has been faltered and I wondered why the answers are not easily found? Why couldn’t I just believe? However, I still do believe. When it comes to science and Christianity one can find that an easy choice of not to believe in one or the other escapes most people’s grasp and that maybe both can exist.