Andrew - Fredericksburg, Virginia
Themes: purpose, sports, work

What Limits?

I believe in pushing past limits, giving full effort to be satisfied.

When it comes down to the last minute on the mat and the score is 8-5, against you, and physical limits have been reached, it’s time to break the barrier to even up the score. This is how it is for me in wrestling, football and everything in life, when I feel that my limits have been met I believe in going the extra mile. Although the outcome might not be what I expected, I know that I gave it my all. In the end, that’s what counts.

Roger Bannister said, “The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.” I have lost many matches in wrestling, and I have won quite a few also, but I always come out of a match satisfied. At practice I had to wrestle for a varsity position on the team and I could tell that we both had reached our limits during the match. He didn’t give in no matter what I did, and; exceeded his limits. I struggled to beat him and after the first match I knew that I would have to give 110 percent to beat him again. After the match we both seemed relieved as if we succeeded. Neither one loses when both give their all. Wrestling is one of the hardest sports that I have ever played. It really tests one’s limits, seeing if they can be pushed beyond that point. Last year there was a tournament that I couldn’t attend because I was JV. But the next Monday when everyone came back, our 215 pound wrestler, said that he exerted so much energy in his last match that he broke threw the barriers that laid in his way and he came back with a win.

Gandhi said, “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory.” Two weeks ago, when we played for the regional title in football, Ryan said “I’m satisfied! I don’t have any regrets; I know I left everything out on the field.” Even though we lost the game he was satisfied, he gave his all in that game and lost, but he was satisfied. Even some of the seniors were satisfied, although it was their last high school game.

I believe that we are in a fistfight with life and we must push past our limits to win or to be happy with what we get from it. I go to school and see people trying to be smarter than others say they are. They try and try but sometime cave in to the limits. Instead of caving in to the limits, take a sledge hammer and bust the limit wide open. “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. In this life we get nothing save by effort,” famous words by Theodore Roosevelt. Break the limits to be satisfied.