Matt - Western Springs, Illinois

February 19, 2007— I believe that my life will be okay.

Every day I wake up unready for the same old speech I receive from my mother. “Why don’t you work harder at school?” she asks me. My only reply is “leave me alone.” Everyday the same thing happens and everyday I get annoyed. I could either continue to ignore her or just accept the fact that I truly do need to work harder—but, I don’t.

Every time my mother and I go downtown to see my brother she points out all the homeless people and says “Do you see what happens when you don’t study?” I just turn up the volume on my ipod which hurts my ears but for some stupid reason seems better then getting lectured by my mother.

When the lawn service comes to my neighbor’s yard I try to hide or leave where my mother cannot find me, but she does anyway. “Do you want to have a crappy job when you grow up?” Of course I don’t really want a laborious and low-paying job when I grow up, but I sarcastically answer “Yes,” hoping to end the conversation, but my attitude only makes things worse.

When my mother picks me up late from school she asks me “What did you do in school today?” I reply by putting on my answer machine and saying “Nothing.” Which angers her as always and I try to space out hoping she would leave me alone. But it never works.

When I think about it my mother is right as always but for some reason I just never seem to try harder at school or try to actually talk to her. But she raises me right and hopefully her words will kick into my head sooner or later. I believe that my life will turn out good.