Sarah - Wilmington, Delaware

I Believe in My Family

I believe in my family. Luck has never been on our side. I cannot remember one single time when luck saved the day. I do not believe in luck, I believe in my family.

It has only been one month since my dad left our family. I remember the screaming and arguing, and then the sound of the door slamming against its frame. After that moment, it was dead silent in my house. It seemed as if you could hear a pin drop onto the floor. I had never been so afraid before, it was if life suddenly stopped and the world ceased to exist. I felt so alone, unloved and vulnerable.

Even now, when I think of that day I start to cry. Luck sure was not here with me when my dad left, but my mom and sister were. I loved my dad more than anyone could imagine, but now all I have for him is hate. I wonder how I survived the last month. Between the pressures of school and work I, I felt as if I was falling into a hole, and each day the hole gained in size. As each day passed and that hole got bigger, it seemed like my chances of escaping this cycle were diminishing like the setting sun on a warm summer’s afternoon.

Though I do know how I survived, it was my family who saved me. Together, we brought laughter and light back into this house filled with sorrow. We wiped away the tears and horrible memories and we started new. We began having dinner together, watching movies and doing as girls do best, spending time at the mall. We came together to heal the wound and fill that hole with the support and care of each other. We all had been seriously hurt. Nevertheless, together we aided each other back to happiness and serenity.

Now, my mother and father are starting the process of a divorce. It is sad, it should be illegal to hurt somebody the way my father has hurt my family. Though, thought this entire ordeal, I have learned one thing. I have learned that no matter the situation, my mother and sister will always be there to catch me when I fall. I will never rely on luck again because I believe in my family.