William - Western Springs, Illinois

At the beginning of the second semester I began to notice something I thought was very strange. I noticed that over half the class was not standing up for the pledge. I thought that it my have been a one time thing. Yet days turned into weeks and still I noticed it and saw that what had been going on had become a habit. I also saw that this was becoming a growing trend throughout the class.

I believe in standing up for the pledge of allegiance. In the morning every day before the class begins we say the pledge of allegiance. As some students stroll in late to class, decide it is more important to sit and fidget with pens, reorganize paper or finish their home work from the previous night I stand up and say the pledge of allegiance. I do this out of respect for those that have helped preserve the flag over the years and that have given up there lives to help this country in its times of hardship.

As I go to class every day and later stand up for the pledge I think to myself and wonder why I am the only one that is standing up right now. I think of what is so important that these people can’t take 15 seconds out of their amazingly busy schedule to honor the flag of the country to which these people live in. I see this as very disrespectful.

I believe that all people living in this great country have the time to take but a few moments out of their daily lives and honor the great country that they are privileged to live in. Those that don’t stand up and say it not only disrespect the country but show that they have little or no appreciation for the privileges that we do have and for those that are giving their lives to protect us and those privileges. I am usually a lazy person and yet I stand up and say the pledge loud every day. I do believe that others can take the little time that it does take to say the pledge of allegiance. I believe in standing up for the pledge because I appreciate the privileges we have and appreciate this country.