Michael - LaGrange, Illinois

This I Believe In

Why do opposites attract? Why do the Cubs never win a world championship? These questions appear to have no answer to them. I believe that these and other phenomena’s happen simply because everything happens for a reason.

Throughout the course of my life, I have experienced things that I never thought imaginable. There have been those nights that I will never forget, and those that I sometimes wish I could forget. Whether the memory is good or whether it is bad, I believe that they have all happened for one reason or another. I can remember one time in particular that I and my friend were in a bit of a dispute and at the time it looked as if we would never be the same again. Well, we were never the same; we are now better than ever and will stay that way forever. Whenever you think that god has smited his almighty wrath on you and everyone else in the world’s skies are all blue, just remember that things can always be worse and that there is always sunshine waiting at the end of a storm.

Most people refuse to believe in fate, I being a Cubs fan have a hard time believing in it myself, but, as a realist I must say that having recalled many of the major events of my life I have come to learn that there is a reason for everything and that no matter how crazy that reason is, you have to learn to look at everything in as positive a way as you can. I can recall that when my grandpa died I felt as if part of the world had cast away like a sailor lost at sea. But in the long run my grandma met my now step-grandpa who I have come to accept as family and not some replacement grandparent like many others would see him as. While I still love my grandfather, I know that he died for a reason and that my Grandma met her now husband for just as good of a reason. Without purpose, I believe there would be no meaning, no logic behind any of our lives. The million dollar question of the meaning of life would never be up for debate because man would not have come to be for a reason.

All in all, the fact of the matter is that bad things happen, and, on the same token, good things happen as well. What I have come to believe in is that the bad things happen for just as good of a reason as the good things. Without bad experiences, we would have no resources to turn to mentally for guidance in future situations. This I believe.