Mark - Lagrange, Illinois

There is one thing, for certain, that is everlasting, all powerful, all knowing, and that thing is the human race. The human race has done some down right terrible things, and invented crimes that hadn’t existed, but there will always be people to fight, to invent, to love and millions of other things. We are resilient enough to bounce back from the evil and hatred that exist in day to day life. We have overcome all the problems nature and we have thrown at ourselves and even in our struggle with these problems we thrive.

We are competitors, it is ingrained in our minds at birth competing to be the first or the best. Striving for the approval of others and our own pride. I know that whenever I play or do anything, I do it to advance or succeed. Everyone wants their slice of the pie, their share, their just reward for their time and effort. We long for success, we see the rich and find purpose for our lives, that goal, that dream, the one we all share… to be the best, the one and only, second to none. Yet one person cannot hold all of the trophies or the titles or the employee of the month awards, however humankind as a whole has all of these awards. We still don’t have all the awards or know all the competitions, which is why we continue our drive to have it all every last bit of it.

And even in our over competitiveness we find the selfless acts of love and compassion, of teamwork and joy and it takes my breath away. A race of paradoxes, we compete with one another and yet we have integrity and a sense of right and wrong. How stable is this balance between good and evil within us. How can we survive with the countless wars going on in each of our minds on what path to take with the two choices we have, the good path or the self serving one. I know I am faced with thousands of these choices each day; should I help a stranger, or should I laugh with the rest? And these choices we define ourselves individually and as a whole, as a people. We define the petty divisions and the bonds beyond those divisions, the hatred we feel, and the love we share.

We, us this is the one thing I can truly believe in.