Kristin - Bloomington, Illinois
Themes: sports

Athletics: The New Education

I believe participating in athletics can be just as valuable and educational as receiving a high school diploma. Teaching important life lessons, athletics help people succeed in the real world. Being a two-sport high school athlete, I believe the lessons I have learned from sports will help me just as much as my AP classes in becoming a successful college student.

In addition to learning how to perfect my hook shot in basketball, I also learned how to effectively manage my time. Having practice everyday or three away games in one week, I was forced to learn how to fit my schoolwork into my busy schedule. Once I perfected managing my time I found that it is even possible to schedule in time for a social life. Besides learning my jump serve in volleyball, I learned how to work together and be successful as a team. In high school sports teams, especially girls, drama is often present. Part of being a successful team comes in overcoming all the adversity and playing through the arguments. Teammates do not have to be the best of friends off the court, but once we step into that gym every problem is left at the door and we become a family. I believe this life lesson will help me become a successful coworker and strive in the work force. Along with developing my desire to win, sports developed my ability to lead. Being a captain of both basketball and volleyball for two straight years I have learned the importance of leadership. With younger athletes looking up to me and my teammates depending on me, I have both felt the pressure and experienced the glory of being a leader. Most importantly, through athletics I learned the importance of perseverance. Becoming a successful athlete did not happen as soon as I picked up a basketball, but through hard work and perseverance. After finding this to be true in sports, I learned that through hard work and perseverance anything is possible. Athletics taught me important life lessons that helped me reach my goals and go after my dreams. This I believe.