Carly - LaGrange, Illinois

Many people believe in fate, a religion, or in themselves. I do too, but despite of all that I believe in smiling and laughing. Not only the relationship between the two but what it does to people around you and the effect it takes. The smile, it is not just moving muscles in your face to give off an expression. It is a worldwide symbol of happiness. You just cannot help smiling. Sure, you smile when you are happy but the smile I am talking about is the smile from deep down inside your heart. No matter how hard you try, there is no holding it back. And when you are very smiley, what comes next is laughter. Laughter is the medicine of our souls. It binds people together and if you are laughing, you are having fun.

Passing a smile onto another being anytime of the day can easily change their day and give them a small pick-me-up. For instance, you are walking out of a coffee shop; someone may hold the door open for you on your way out. Don’t just say thank you, give them a smile. After that, chances are their day will be brightened and they will give a smile later on and there are big chances that there will be a giant chain of smiles going around.

In a friendship, the first thing I look for is humor. As Marilyn Monroe said “if you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything”. When you laugh with someone, there is some sort of force connecting you two. And besides that, when you laugh, you are smiling! I am most certainly positive that smiles and laughter brighten the day and make everyday tasks seem much easier and nicer. Not for only you, but for everyone, and the chain that becomes initiated. It’s not like anyone doesn’t like laughing either. Everyone enjoys it. It makes you feel alive inside.

Now as far as I go, in middle school I was named ‘the laughing girl’ by many of my peers. Everything just seemed so funny to me. I was always smiling. I noticed the people I was around also began smiling and laughing more also. Sure, my laugh is loud and obnoxious and often ridiculed or mocked, but that should not stop anyone. Many people vie for a connection between someone where you can just joke and laugh all day long, but they never find it. That is also where this smile chain comes into play.

I really do believe in smiling and laughing. Not only will it change your day, but little by little it will change your life. Smile and laugh.