Kelly - Hicksville, Ohio

This is believe- The professional nurse holds the potential in his or her hands to impact lives in ways that other careers cannot even hold a candle to and sadly by the year 2020, there will be an estimated shortage of 800,000 nurses. This is scary to me! I believe that nurses are, hands down, the most versatile creatures in the healthcare industry and the industry will suffer greatly from this grave shortage.

Nursing is a very demanding profession physically, mentally and emotionally but I chose nursing because I know that I can and will make a difference. I saw this first-hand through an encounter that inspired me to choose nursing. My nephew Caleb was born prematurely in October of 2002 and had to be placed in the Neonatal intensive care unit for a short period of time. His lungs lacked enough of the lubricant surfactant which is necessary for breathing successfully. I visited him several times during the duration of his stay and each time I carefully studied the nurses. I enjoyed watching them care for the babies, especially Caleb. They became very involved with each baby and his or her family. I could tell that they genuinely cared for their patients and I could see the sparkle in their eyes when a baby was discharged. On the more serious side I could also sense the urgency that they felt when there was an emergency. If there was an admission brought in or if a baby wasn’t doing so well I saw how they took charge of the situation with confidence and skill. These nurses knew their stuff! I saw how good they were at their job and how rewarding it could be and I knew that nursing was the profession for me. Up until this time I had always had the dream of becoming a veterinarian. I was a senior in high school and I had already applied to several schools, all of which were known for their vet programs. The idea of completely changing my life-goals was certainly frightening to me and I wasn’t sure if I had enough time to send out new college applications to schools that offered nursing. However, I dove in with great enthusiasm and today I am a senior nursing student who will graduate this May. I am in my final weeks of school and am feeling a combination of emotions. I am excited about finally graduating with my bachelor’s degree after four long, hard years of college. I am nervous and scared about being on my own as a “real nurse”. However, I know that I will never be alone and that there will always be someone there from whom I can learn. There is so much out there that I haven’t experienced and I am looking forward to my future in nursing- always increasing my knowledge base and forever striving to be the nurse who inspired me so I too can be an inspiration.