Allison - Western Springs, Illinois

I Believe We Need Others

As babies grow to infants, infants to teenagers, and teenagers to adults, we all strive to become independent. As old as we get, we will still always need someone to help us, even a little.

I believe that we need others to survive. We can’t do it on our own.

You wouldn’t be able to do anything had you not been taken care of by someone other than yourself. We all need each other. That’s something that we never grow out of.

Just last week, my grandma spent the night in the hospital. One night- doesn’t sound too serious. But when you add that together with the 17 previous days and nights she had been there, that’s quite something. She was placed in the hospital because she went into cardiac arrest while some tests were being run on her. My grandma has never been a very healthy person. Once my mom and aunt realized that caring for her wasn’t going to continue to be as easy as it had in the past, they put her in a nursing home that probably wasn’t as beneficial as they had planned it to be. Due to lack of care, my grandma ended up in the hospital several times. We depended on the care of the nursing home as well as the hospital because we all need care, and we ended up with more problems than we started with. So, after a year of being at this home, along with more surgeries than most people go through in a lifetime, here my grandma is, back in one of those ugly hospital gowns. So, my grandma went into cardiac arrest, resulting from a lack of care and not enough proper nutrients. Since no one in my family is in the medical field, we didn’t really know what we could do to help her or what was going on. However, we did realize that the “professionals” weren’t doing all they could or what they should be doing. Just because we weren’t experts like them, they didn’t even listen to what we had to say. Now we may not be surgeons, but we aren’t stupid. A life was on the line. After years of grandma helping mom, the tables turned. My mom stayed by her side in case she needed the help of another to survive. She may be old and wise, but she was helpless. See? Even at the old age of 80, you need care and support. If we hadn’t been there, no one would have.

Life is a cycle. It’s clear that everyone from young to old needs those around them to survive. Babies have no chance of survival without a guardian to watch over and teach them. As children, we need to learn from our parents. As teenagers we need direction. As married adults we lean on each other at tough times. When you are unable to do something to help yourself, you need someone by your side to help you survive. And even into old age, the cycle of care still continues.

Young or old, weak or strong, black or white, we just can’t survive on our own.

We need each other. Sometimes people don’t realize that when they act against someone who may annoy them or are different from them, but we all add something to each other’s lives. And we can’t live without each other.