Katherine - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that going to school can be a lot of fun.

On many occasions, I have not wanted to get out of bed in the morning and go to school. Up until now, I have always thought that school really stinks and life would be a lot better if I did not have to go. The truth is there are some days where I have laughed more at school, than I have at home. Usually, I walk into school feeling exhausted, and complain that all I want to do is go home. By the end of the day, the feelings of wanting to go home disappear. There are so many moments during the day that make waking up early actually worth it. All of those embarrassing moments, stupid jokes, and awkward situations that happen in school could never be recreated at home.

When my mom asks about what happened in school everyday, I usually shrug my shoulders, and reply, ‘nothing much.’ In reality, so many interesting things happened, I just cannot remember all of them. I cannot go through my day and think of all the little things that people said, or the little homework a teacher is given out. Small things like seeing a lot of my friends in the hallway make me feel good. When random girls are screaming in the hall, it makes me annoyed, but I also laugh a little inside. Something as small as a test getting pushed back a day or getting an A on a project that I worked really hard on can make me feel on top of the world. It makes my day when a friend says one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard, or when I laugh uncontrollably at lunch. Most of these instances I probably will never remember when I am older, but I will remember that school was not that bad. I did not like waking up and walking into school half asleep, but I did like hanging out with my friends the entire day, every day. While the summer is great, sometimes I find myself getting really bored. In school, I do get bored, but not for hours at a time. Tests, quizzes and papers do stink, but when I hear that five other people have no idea what they are doing like I do, it makes me feel a lot better. Whenever I tell my brother how he is so lucky about being out of college with no homework, he tells me that it is not all that great. I finally realize that school is fun, and I should enjoy it while I can.