Jon - Bllomington, Minnesota

My core values have come from how I was raised. I am extremely fortunate for the loving family I was given and I know that I do not deserve all that I have. My parents have shaped me into the person that I am today by introducing me to God through our church. I found God at Northern Pines, a church camp that I have been going to now for five years. One of the most powerful moments in my life was when I first asked Jesus into my heart, the summer before the eighth grade. I remember confessing to the Lord all the wrongs that I had done and at the same time promised him that with his help I would try to live a better life. Since we are all sinners, each year I would stray from God and do more and more things that I knew he would not be proud of. The best part of knowing God is the fact that he gave his only son so that we could all be forgiven of our sins. It is very reassuring to know that God is always on my side and has better plans for me even when I make a mistake.

I believe that to do the right thing, our first line of guidance comes from God. God has made us all good people but has given us the opportunity to do wrongs. It is our job to use what we have to make the world a better place and do the right thing in troubled times. I believe that if we do what God tells us it will create the most happiness; he won’t always give us exactly what we want but he will show us what is moral or what is right.

I also believe that we should each try to be all we can be using the gifts that God has given us. I do not think that this is being selfish. We were given the things we have for a reason and it is our responsibility to use these gifts for the right reasons: to make things better for everyone. We should not use what we have to put down others. Also it is unfair to complain when something bad happens to us. Many people when faced with troubled times say, “Why me?” This is a common reaction because this is how we are programmed to think. But, it is important to be humbled by the non-pleasant experiences that we all go through. We need to realize how lucky we are to have the things that we are blessed with. We should use the negative experiences in our lives as a reminder to make sure that we need to live everyday to the fullest because nothing is guaranteed.