Nathan - Brookfield, Illinois

I believe in music because it is a way to pour out your feelings on to a piece of writing paper or even just singing a song or rapping to a beat. The definition of music is an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color. I think that music is a part of every ones life and should not be taken for granted. Music is a way to escape everything that’s going wrong in life. Sometimes when my parents or sister get me angry which is like everyday I listen to my Ipod and try to calm myself down. I don’t know why music calms me down when I’m mad, but I’m just glad that it does.

Sometimes I listen to music when I’m bored, when I feel like getting crazy, or just when I’m sad. To me music is a way of life. When I’m feeling down or just like saying something I usually turn to a pen and paper and write songs. Without music I don’t know what I would do.

When I’m bored as hell in school and I’m wearing a sweater I just listen to my Ipod Nano and it keeps me awake even though I’m not paying attention in class. I learn a lot from songs, sometimes I learn more from songs than I do when I’m in school. I think that if teachers rapped their lessons that everyone would pay more attention or just start bursting out laughing.

My favorite type of music is underground hip hop and rap, but I don’t mind listening to a little rock and roll. The reason I say “underground hip hop and rap” is because they actually talk about what’s going on in life and what’s happening around the world. I like listening about a rappers struggle and how hard it was for him to get where he or she is now. I used to like regular rap and hip hop music until they just started talking about how rich they are and how nice their cars are and how big their houses are. My favorite rap group is called Non Phixion because they rap about their lives and how crappy it was when they where kids and their struggle because all four of them grew up in the ghetto. Sometimes their lyrics are a little too violent or a little too explicit, but I really don’t care because when I hear their songs I get pumped up.

Without music in the world, life would be dull. There would be no more going out to clubs because without music you really can’t dance with some rhythm. When you’re on the highway and there’s traffic I’d probably die because without music there’d be nothing to listen to except the horns of all the cars and to me that’s not music. Music is a part of everyday life and without it, the world would be a boring place.