Joseph - Laguna Niguel, California

Happiness

After 58 years I’m still not sure what it is on earth the produces the state of happiness. But I have an inkling that it seems to come as a gift often after some anxiety that is reframed in the mind’s eye. And then acted upon, turning a painful experience into bliss. Like feeding a hungry child, rescuing someone from hostility or danger or staying with and listening to and loving someone who is depressed.

The brass ring of happiness seems to be less elusive when we reach outside of ourselves and paradoxically allow ourselves to feel each other’s pain without being consumed by it. With empathy we are drawn actively into the human experience and become a catalyst for growing love and in that comes sustained joy.

Feeling alone in the world seems to be a primary reason for unhappiness and therefore the antithesis of loneliness must to be happy. Getting connected even in a small way goes a long way to contributing to our happiness and to everyone else’s.

(The doorman at my office who says “good morning” and mentions my name.)

(The woman who happily offers me the 25cents I need when I am short at the café.)

(The young suffer who lets an old man “drop in” on the best wave of the day … .)

It seems everything we do contributes to the collective happiness of all of us …

..I thinks someone once said that Happiness cannot be kept that it must be given away …. Or was that Love ? ….. either way …” same difference” , as my son might say….

Yes Happiness is a choice … and it is an action ….. it can and should be our life’s work

Laguna Niguel, CA