Deonte - Lagrange park, Illinois

What does music really mean? More specifically what does rap really mean? Most people would say that rap is just guys with big chains and women speaking a bunch of words with a beat in the background; but its not. Rap is very similar to poetry. Sometimes it doesn’t rhyme and sometimes it does. Tupac Shukur is one of the world’s best and most well known rappers and the name he liked being called by was Machiavelli, which is the name of a famous poet. If I were to take one the lyrics to one of his songs that I didn’t already know, I would think that it is a poem by an African American male. When a rapper makes a song they are trying to get across a point to its listeners just like a poet. I almost listen to music every day. Music also motivates me to do things.

Mid way through my wrestling season we had to go against one of the best teams in the conference. I had to wrestle one of the best guys in the conference and he had never lost once in the season. I was really nervous and didn’t want to wrestle him any more. I decided that I would go and listen to some rap on my iPod. I listen to a couple of Eminem songs and some Tupac songs. When it was time for me to wrestle I took my headphones off and went onto the mat, praying that I would win with every step I took. I ended up pinning the guy with 15 seconds left in the last round. I was very excited and people kept asking me what made me do so well because I was really nervous before the match. I told them that it was because I listened to a couple of rap songs before the match. I believe that the music helped me perform better and have more confidence in myself. I do the same for football but it’s a little different because the whole football team listens to music on a big stereo before the game.

I believe that rap and different types of music has impacted my life in many ways and helps me deal with my problems and express my feelings. Without music I think that my life would be much different and I would have to find another way to motivate myself and to have a good time. I listen to music to have fun, boost my confidence, and just for physical and mental relaxation. If I knew how and was talented enough, I think that I would make my own music. I will not stop listening to music even if my parents told me too for some reason because I love it so much. I believe that music has impacted my life a lot and has made me into the better person that I am today.