Harrison - Chesterfield, Missouri

The Healing Powers of Silence

Listen. Can you hear that? “Hear what” you ask? Let me tell you. It’s nothing, complete silence. Some thrive off of the silence while others run in fear. Some hate the deafening silence, and the ringing. They hate being alone with themselves for too long for fear of getting lost. Some, myself included, need the silence to survive this chaotic world. We need a hideaway where we can go at the end of the day to just think. I believe that everyone needs a place of solitude to retreat to after a long week.

In this Western culture that we live in, it is getting harder and harder to find a place where one can bask in silence. With iPods and laptops on the rise, people are more easily and readily distracted with noise. We are constantly avoiding that “uncomfortable” silence, and filling it with music and media. Western culture has labeled silence as boredom, and if you’re bored, you are missing out on the world. But along with the rise of entertainment and efficiency, the level of stress and fatigue also rise. In this modern world, we are constantly being pushed to get more work done and to become better workman. But we need to rest and recuperate in order to survive the work world, and having a moment of silence is just the remedy.

When things get too hectic, taking a moment to just stop and think can do wondrous things for you. There is so much information flying around in our minds that we need to take time to sort everything out. Sit down in a dark room free from distractions and noise and just think. Let whatever comes to your mind first walk you through memories. It is incredible the amount of memories you can reminisce on when in this state. So many events can relate and before you know it a half hour could go buy. It is at times like these that I can ask God to show me things, and it is incredible the stuff he has put together in my mind. Everyone needs time alone, but, more importantly; everyone also needs time alone with God.

During the day it is difficult to find time for God. We are so busy with worldly things that we forget to spend time with the Creator. In the Bible it says to constantly be praying and speaking with God. While this is difficult, we need to try. The least we can do is set apart a time in the evening devoted entirely to God. And to do this we need silence. Noise can be so distracting to us. Weather it’s music in the background that we begin to sing along to or the ringing of a cell phone, it distracts us and takes away from our time with God. This silent time spent with God is so refreshing and rejuvenating. It can lift one’s spirits higher than any song or movie can. Not only can we find silence inside, but we can also find it in God’s creation.

Rarely do I find myself strolling through the woods behind my house, and lately I wonder why. I love the woods and I used to walk in to them and sit in front of a tree and just sit listening to how quiet the world can get. This is one of the reasons why I like to hunt. Being outside with no other sound but the wind rustling the leaves can be quite humbling. It is surprising just how quiet the world can truly get when we step outside away from our televisions and iPods. Being in complete silence can be overwhelming to those who have become numb to the noises of the world. Its easy to understand why most want to avoid that deafening silence at all costs. It can be quite intimidating at times, especially to those who are not used to its power. Take the time to appreciate where we are living. Take advantage of the healing powers that God has placed in nature.

We work to keep ourselves entertained with technology. We are strolling further and further away from what is good for us and walking into a trap. Technology is claiming to make our lives easier, but it is only demanding more from us. The stress placed on us needs to be released. A perfect way to do this is a time devoted to nothing; to silence. What better way to enjoy silence than to spend it with your Creator? Devoting a quiet time to reflect on your life and to learn more about God can do wonders for us. I believe that everyone needs a place of solitude to retreat to.