Bradlet - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I believe in the struggle to survive

People can do great things, people can do amazing things but what they all have in common is a desire to work, to fight, and to not let anything keep them from what they are trying to achieve. As these certain people claw and fight for every last inch there are others who have to claw for something else entirely. It is a different kind of fight it is not about glory or riches; it is not about fame or fortune. It is a fight to survive. People with cancer or other fatal diseases, or even the homeless person that walks by the train asking for spare change, these people are clawing their way through life and they, claw and fight for every last moment they can get.

Two of my friends lost their mothers over the summer due to cancer; I don’t feel comfortable saying their names. But the fight that their mothers put up against an ugly disease is a story that changed the life of one of my best friends. Over that fateful summer of 2006 my friend’s mother was diagnosed with cancer for the third time in her life, but this time the cancer was farther along and it had metastasized. The doctors gave her 6 months to live. This was terrible news for my friend who was understandably crushed for months. As time went on his mother became more and more ill and was in an increasing amount of pain, this was terrible to see happen and to see my friend break down along side. But amazingly, his mother survived for a year and a half, it was unbelievable. She survived longer than anyone would have thought. But over the summer she passed away. I had known how attached my friend was to his mother, but the reaction I got from him was something unsuspected, he seemed almost ready. I was shocked, I expected him to breakdown but instead he explained to me that his mother had fought for so long in pain, and that he had spoken to his mother about this for some time, he had come to terms with it.

I now understand that if is mother had not fought so long that my friend wouldn’t have survived this ordeal to be the person he is today. I realize that his mothers fight and her struggle to survive is what saved my friend’s life. If she had not fought so hard my friend would most likely not be the person he is today. She was not only fighting for her life, she was fighting for her sons life too. That is why I believe in struggle to survive.