Nils - 19312, Pennsylvania

I Can’t Get No

From the moment I wake up to the late hours I stay up at night, I am searching for satisfaction. I endure each long school day, waiting to go home where I can have time to make myself feel satisfied. This idle time I spend, however, rarely makes me feel this way. Feeling unsatisfied, I have trouble focusing on my homework, completing tasks, and, most importantly, sleeping. I sometimes stay up hours at night trying to do something to make me happy – play guitar, listen to music, read, browse the Internet, think, etc., but nothing ever seems to work. When I have too many choices of what to do with my life, I end up doing nothing gratifying at all. No “lazy time” that I have ever expected to make me feel satisfied has ever been time well spent. This leads me to my personal goal for a better life.

I believe that I must find a way to enjoy every minute of life: to see every class as a track athlete sees each meet – as an opportunity to improve upon his or her previous achievement. Instead of seeing my job as a necessary evil, I could see it as a hang-out place where one can meet people and get paid to do it. I need to challenge myself to try something new or get excited about something I have been taking for granted all of my life. If I become passionate about something noble in my life, whether it is math or faith or love, I believe I will get something in return. Doing these things will fill the void in my life where I seek to put satisfaction.

I must be honest – I am not the perfect example of this way to live, but I still believe in these policies. Another important way to appreciate life is to always change one’s environment. I have found that when I get too comfortable with my current situation, I become too confident and start to slack off, which leaves me largely unsatisfied. When I was a freshman, the anxiousness and curiosity inside of me inexplicably acted as motivation to use every moment of my life to the fullest. For example, I would do my homework the minute I got home every day of the week. Don’t ask me how, it just happened. Tonight, though, as I write this essay, it is almost 11 O’Clock – all because I have wasted my potential homework hours engaging myself in something unproductive. I believe this lack of productivity stems from my routine-like daily regimen and my passive outlook on life. Here is another example of the bad effects of a static environment. When a struggling freshman football player joins a team, I can imagine that he gets much more satisfaction in his own development after each practice compared to the star senior who has played since he was nine years old and now skips practice or messes around.

Writing this personal philosophy has made me realize the changes I must make to live a fuller life. If I change my personal mindset and create a positive environment for myself, there is a possibility that I can find true happiness. Will I find satisfaction tomorrow? Who knows – the fact that I can makes me feel content, at least temporarily. These changes could start with just a small action or event. And when a “man comes on the radio”, I’ll think about this essay and laugh, because I’ll know Mick and Keith felt the same way I do.