samuel - albers, Illinois
Themes: love

This I Believe.

I believe in “I love you.” I believe that it is something we don’t say enough. About a month ago, my friend, Jarid, left a message on my voice mail. At the end of it, he said, “I love you.” Now, I hadn’t spoken to him in almost three years. When he said that, I realized that it was the most important thing that he could have said to me. Not because he is my friend or because I wasn’t feeling well at the time. No, the reason lies in the phrase itself. It is only three simple words containing fewer letters than some single words in out language. I love you.

I have had ex-girlfriends who told me all of the theories about why you should or shouldn’t say “I love you.” One said that it gets old. Another said that it shouldn’t be used as a replacement for “goodbye.” And a friend of mine says that it seems to be involving more of what the person saying it is feeling and not anything about that person who is hearing it.

I try to say it to everybody who will listen to it. When people hear me say this or read it in a letter I may have written, it brightens their heart regardless of how they felt about me before I spoke these special words. It always tells somebody what they are thinking needs to be said. I can see this need in them. People stand and speak to you with meaningless words. They play with their feet while they are standing. They chew fingernails. I believe that most people do all of this in a non-verbal expression of “I love you.”

We all want to tell others that we love them. We all want to hear it. I believe that every day, I will tell somebody that I love her or him. Why would I do that? I will tell them because it is true. I will tell them because I believe it to be true.