Lindsay - Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Themes: family, love

I believe in the power of one good memory.

A good memory makes someone smile. Good memories remind people of happy times in life. One good memory has the power to erase a million bad memories.

After seeing my grandma’s memory slowly fade due to dementia, I have realized not to take memories I have for granted, because I might not always have them.

The memories I have of my grandma from when we were younger are so strong and vivid that when I see her now, it takes a second for my mind to realize that it’s really her. This is my grandma.

In the past two years, I have seen my grandma experience very painful things. It hurts to remind her that some of her loved ones have passed away. The look on her face is one of complete confusion, utter embarrassment, and extreme sorrow. Seeing that look on the face of someone I love so much is heartbreaking. The good memories I have of her not only help me deal with her illness, they help block out any sad memories I have of her now.

One good memory can make the difference in laughing or crying. A good memory can make things seem wonderful, even when they’re really not. A good memory can allow someone to completely ignore anything hurtful or sad that took place in that person’s life.

Even though my grandma’s memory is gone now, there are times, even for just a short minute or two, when she is back. The grandma that I know is there and aware of everything. Those are wonderful memories. Those memories make everything else bearable. Those memories come at times when everything seems completely hopeless.

One good memory has the power to keep me hopeful in very hopeless situations.