Jaime - Western Springs, Illinois

This I Believe…

In my sixteen years of life, I have learned more useless material than I could have ever imagined. I often wonder, “What of this will I really use in life?” During classes, that is also a commonly asked question. A few typical answers exist including, “Well, if you decide to be a [insert job name here]” and “It will help you in other ways.” Most of the time, these answers are at least somewhat legitimate; however, I have yet to accept either answer when dealing with chemistry.

It is not that I do not understand chemistry, but rather, I simply find it completely and utterly useless. I have not the tiniest cinch on why I am forced to learn how to find the percent composition of H2SO4. In all honesty, when reading the questions on chemistry worksheets that ask things such as, “How many grams of Chlorine do you need to completely react with 5.67 grams of Sodium?” my first answer is, “I couldn’t care less.”

I cannot count the number of times I have pointed out the uselessness of a topic during chemistry class. I actually find it more entertaining to argue the subject’s purposelessness than to actually learn and study it. I mean, is it ever really going to come in handy for me to know that the atomic mass of nitrogen is approximately 14.01 grams? The answer is clearly no.

“But what if one day I decide to be a chemist?” Obviously, I have ruled that option completely out of my future. Last year, I thought that I would never hate a subject more than biology, but I have been proven incredibly wrong. Biology seems like heaven compared to the deep pit of hell more commonly known as “chemistry.”

“Chemistry can help me in other ways.” I see no other ways. I have asked adults that I know when was the last time they had to find the mole ratio of something, and they have replied “Oh, probably… in my high school chemistry class!” One feeble excuse for learning chemistry involved cooking and mixing the proper amounts of ingredients. I shot that idea down with the fact that I have been capable of multiplication and division since the third grade.

So therefore, I believe that chemistry is a large waste of my life. Of all of the things that I could do every weekday for those 51 minutes just after lunch, I’m pretty sure that finding empirical formulas and studying periodic trends are just about last on my list.